Kiwanis Parade route and street closures announced
Here is the latest information for the Saturday Kickoff
WEST MONROE – The City of West Monroe has announced street closures for the 2022 Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita Christmas Parade which will take place in downtown West Monroe and Monroe on Saturday, December 3.
The theme for this year’s parade is “Christmas Past and Present.” The parade will begin at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3 in downtown West Monroe.
This year’s parade route has changed due to road construction near the Endom Bridge. The parade will line up on N. 4th Street in West Monroe, traveling along Bridge Street and crossing over the Lea Joyner Bridge. The parade will enter Monroe, turning right on N. 3rd Street, then turning right on Washington Street, then turning right onto Walnut Street, then left onto Louisville Avenue in Monroe before crossing back over the Lea Joyner Bridge into West Monroe. The parade will turn left onto Trenton Street, and the parade will end at the intersection of Wood and N. 4th Streets.
To ensure public safety, Saturday is considered a pedestrian day in downtown West Monroe. In preparation for the parade and Christmas festivities taking place, the following street closures will take effect on Saturday, Dec. 3:
• Trenton Street will be closed to all traffic from Pine to Wood Streets, beginning at 7 a.m.
• Trenton Street from Bridge to Pine Streets will be closed to traffic, beginning at 1 p.m.
• Endom Bridge will be closed to both vehicles and pedestrians at 4:30 p.m. until the completion of the Christmas on the River Fireworks Show presented by the Downtown West Monroe Revitalization Group (the fireworks show begins at 6 p.m.).
• Louisville Bridge will be closed to both vehicles and pedestrians beginning at 3 p.m. until the parade is completed.
• Stella Street will be closed to vehicular traffic at 3 p.m. until the end of the parade.
• Wood Street from Trenton to N. 4th Street will be closed at 3 p.m.
• Cotton Street will be used for emergency traffic and downtown merchant parking only.
• Commerce Street will be closed at 7 a.m. and will reopen after the fireworks. Activities taking place that day in downtown West Monroe include the following:
• 8:30 a.m. – Christmas on the River 5K and Christmas on the River Walk at 8:45 a.m.
• 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. – food trucks and festivities in Alley Park
• 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. – live music in Alley Park featuring The Hot Grits Band
• 3:30 p.m. – Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita Christmas Parade
• 6 p.m. – Christmas on the River Fireworks Show presented by the Downtown West Monroe Revitalization Group
• 7-9 p.m. – wagon rides throughout the Christmas lights; pick up at Alley Park every 30
For more information about street closures, please contact the Wes
t Monroe Police Department at (318) 396-2772.
Information about Christmas activities can be found at www.christmasontheriver.org