The Monroe City Council selected January to be the city's first Museum Month. Monroe's ten museums are celebrating the program with a Passport Contest, Photo Contest, and several special events and offers all month long.
According to Ralph Calhoun, executive director of Biedenharn Museum and Gardens, the idea for the program started when all of the city's museum directors came together for a meeting . He says, "Sitting around the table one day, we decided to have a museum month to encourage our local folks to come out and visit all of our museums." To participate in the new program, this is how it works.
For the passport contest, guests can download or pick up a passport at any participating location and start collecting their stamps from each museum. Dr. Kim Tolson, director of the ULM Museum of Natural History, says that the stamps are specific to each location, "If you come to the Natural History Museum, you'll get a special dinosaur stamp." After the sixth stamp, the participant will receive a gift, and his or her name will be entered in a drawing for the Grand Prize Basket.
While visiting the museums, guests can also send in a photo for each stop to enter the Photo Contest. The photo must be sent to email@example.com with the person's name and contact information. Winners will be announced on Monday, February 10.
Each museum is also hosting their own special exhibits and activities throughout the month. A list of locations and activities can be found below.
- Biedenharn Museum and Gardens: Krewe of Janus Mardi Gras Gown Exhibit Public Opening Reception and children's art activity from 5 - 7 p.m. (Jan. 10)
- Masur Museum of Art: Artist Talk with Jay Davis at 6:30 p.m. with free admission (Jan. 9) and Animation Class for $65 (Jan. 11)
- Black Bayou Lake National Wildlife Refuge: Full Moon Campfire Program with S'mores at 6:30 p.m. with free admission (Jan. 11)
- Bry Gallery: Special Exhibition open during gallery hours (beginning Jan. 13)
- Chennault Aviation and Military Museum: Meet and Greet with book signing for "traded to the Enemy" and "From Sword to Pen" from 5 - 7 p.m. (Jan. 16)
- Precious Legacy Archives and Museum: Museum tour from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. and a challah demonstration from 2 - 4 p.m. (Jan. 18)
- Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo: Group rate admission to anyone presenting or requesting a Museum Month Passport (all month long)
- Northeast Louisiana Children's Museum: $1 off admission (all month long)
- Northeast Louisiana Delta African American Heritage Museum: An exhibition of Wandering Spirits: African Wax Prints (Through Jan. 21)
- ULM Museum of Natural History: Free admission (all month long)
For more information about Museum Month, click here.