Library holds an 'Ocean of Possibilities' for summer reading
The Oceans of Possibilities Summer Reading Program at the Ouachita Parish Public Library runs from June 1–July 31, 2022. A Kick-Off will be held at each branch on Saturday, June 4 from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. There will be activities, prizes, and fun for all ages.
All ages are encouraged to participate this summer and win some great prizes by reading. The summer reading challenge offers three age categories: Kids Category for children ages 12 and under, Teen Category for teens ages 13 to 17, and Adult Category for adults ages 18 and up. Once you have finished reading a book, you will enter the book into the summer reading portal.
· 250 pages: certificate, badge book, and a pencil
· 500 pages: award ribbon and cup
· 750 pages: bookbag with book and coloring book
· Entry into Grand Prize drawing.
· 500 pages: drawstring backpack with Frisbee
· 1000 pages: tumbler and moptopper pen
· 1500 pages: book and coupon from local restaurant
· 500 pages: phone wallet
· 1000 pages: collectible canvas tote bag
· 1500 pages: entry into the end-of-summer grand prize drawings
There are four end-of-summer grand prize packs for both teens and adults which are provided by the Friends of the Ouachita Public Library. For children, the Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita is donating 10 bicycles through their Bikes for Books program. These bikes are for the end-of-summer grand prize drawing for kids who complete the summer reading challenge. There are multiple ways to enter into the end-of-summer grand prize drawing:
· Read! Kids who read 750 pages, and teens and adults who read 1500 pages will be entered into the grand prize drawings.
· Complete the Challenge Actions! In the summer reading portal, log that you have completed the three Challenge Actions under the Activity Badges, and you will have a bonus entry into the grand prize drawing. The Challenge Actions are:
o Enjoy the Water. Play in the sprinkler in your backyard; or, read beside the bayou; or, go swimming or fishing; or, tell us how you enjoyed the water.
o Explore the Water. Kayak down the bayou; or, learn about ocean life or local waterways; or, watch an oceanography documentary; or, tell us how you explored the water.
o Save the Water. Instead of using disposable cups, use a reusable water bottle, cup, or mug; or, pick up litter to keep it out of waterways; or, tell us how you conserved water.
· Attend a Library Program. Attend three Library programs at any of our branches.
· Vote for your favorite Top 6 Pick. For an additional entry into the end-of-summer grand prize drawings, read at least 2 of the Top 6 Picks and vote for your favorite book. In the summer reading portal, click on "Activity Challenges," and click on "Vote for your favorite Top 6 Picks." After voting, you will receive the secret code to enter into the summer reading portal.
Since 1948, the Ouachita Parish Public Library has challenged patrons to read as much as they can during the summer. What started as a reading club for children has expanded to a months-long, themed-celebration for all ages. Children, teens, and adults receive fun incentives for reading and completing community challenges.
Visit a local branch today for more information on the Oceans of Possibilities Summer Reading Program or to apply for a library card, or visit www.oplib.org/summerreading.