That Pesky Household Waste Could Be Hazardous
Ouachita Green is hosting Household Hazardous Waste Collection Saturday, March 17 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ike Hamilton Expo Center.
The Household Hazardous Waste event is a free opportunity to keep hazardous materials out of local waterways and the natural environment in the Northeast Louisiana region. This service is for households only.
Volunteers are collecting the following waste items:
- Hazardous household products: oil and latex paints, stains, automobile batteries, household batteries, motor oil, antifreeze, oil filters, household cleaners, household chemicals, pesticides, flammables, corrosives, medications, and electronic wastes.
- Recyclable Materials: office paper, magazines, cardboard, plastics 1 and 2, and white goods/scrap metal.
- Sharps: needles, boxed and contained properly. Participants are required to transfer the needles to the provided container at the collection site.
- Shredding Services: document destruction of personal information on site. This service is limited to three "copy paper" size boxes per participant.
- Tires: accepted with up to a 20-inch rim dimension. Tires must be taken off of the metal rim.
Prohibited items include radioactive materials, compressed gas cylinders, ammunition, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and explosives.
Ouachita Green is a non-profit organization dedicated to the nature and beautification of Northeast Louisiana. More information about Household Hazardous Waste is available on the Ouachita Green website.