Monroe Police Issue Arrest Warrant for Officer In Alleged Beating of Suspect

Jul 25, 2020

The Monroe Police Department issued an arrest warrant for one of two officers involved in the alleged beating of a suspect in April 2020.

According to a statement from the City of Monroe, in June, Monroe Police received a complaint from Timothy Williams, alleging that excessive force was used against him during an arrest on April 21, 2020 by as many as eight Monroe police officers.

Williams was stopped by police in the 400 block of North 4th Street. Acccording to the police report, he produced a fake black semi-automatic handgun and officers saw a crack pipe fall from his shirt pocket. Williams ran from the officers, and was captured in the 400 block of Pine Street.

According to the report, Williams was transported by ambulance to St. Francis Medical Center for injuries sustained while trying to evade capture. He was treated and released, then arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia, aggravated flight from an officer, and illegal carrying of weapons. 

After reviewing the evidence, which included body camera footage of the arrest, Monroe Police placed the two arresting officers on administrative leave. Early evidence indicates that these were the only two officers present when force was used.

The Internal Affairs Division and Detective Bureau also began administrative and criminal investigations into the complaint. The City of Monroe and Monroe Police have requested assistance with the investigation from outside agencies.

According to the statement from the City of Monroe, the investigation has also led to three additional officers not implicated in the use of force being placed on administrative leave.

Monroe Mayor Friday Ellis said "The City of Monroe and the Monroe Police Department will not tolerate or condone misconduct by officers nor the mistreatment of any of our citizens."

"Our officers take an oath to protect and serve our citizens, and our officers perform their jobs dutifully and in accordance with that oath every day." Ellis continued, "Officers who break the law or violate policy will be held fully accountable, and we will keep this process as transparent to the public as possible within the limits of an ongoing investigation."

The investigation into the incident continues.