Nine Louisiana Schools Named 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools
The U.S. Department of Education today recognized 353 schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2023, including nine schools in Louisiana. The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups on assessments.
The Louisiana schools named as National Blue Ribbon Schools were:
- Baton Rouge – Saint Joseph's Academy, Diocese of Baton Rouge.
- Baton Rouge – Saint Luke's Episcopal School, Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana.
- Covington – Archbishop Hannan High School, Archdiocese of New Orleans.
- Denham Springs – Juban Parc Elementary School, Livingston Parish Public Schools.
- Houma – Broadmoor Elementary School, Terrebonne Parish School District.
- Natchitoches – N.S.U. Elementary Lab School, Natchitoches Parish School Board.
- Ruston – A. E. Phillips Laboratory School, Lincoln Parish Schools.
- Shreveport – Caddo Parish Middle Magnet School, Caddo Parish Public Schools.
- West Monroe – Boley Elementary School, Ouachita Parish Schools.
“The honorees for our 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award have set a national example for what it means to Raise the Bar in education,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. “The leaders, educators, and staff at our National Blue Ribbon Schools continually inspire me with their dedication to fostering academic excellence and building positive school cultures that support students of all backgrounds to thrive academically, socially, and emotionally.
The Department recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students. Nominated schools also complete an extensive narrative application describing their school culture and philosophy, curriculum, assessments, instructional practices, professional development, leadership structures, and parent and community involvement.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. The Department invites nominations for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education.