Education Reporter/Producer, Part Time (4978)
KEDM Public Radio
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Education Reporter/Producer is a key person for the Southern Education Desk (SED), a Local Journalism Center (LJC) in the South that creates essential multimedia, multi-platform content on the topic of education. The position is based in Monroe, LA but has responsibilities for reporting around northeast Louisiana. This exciting, collaborative reporting project is aimed at examining the subject of education from both a policy and personal perspective. The Education Reporter/Producer for the Southern Regional Education Desk is initially funded by a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
1. Reports, writes and produces news content, periodic segments, interviews, feature reports, web content, programs and other materials on the topic of education in Louisiana and the southern United States for radio, television and the web.
2. Performs research on individuals, stories, or subjects to collect in-depth background, details, and information prior to interviews or writing pieces.
3. Writes and edits multimedia segments for Southern Education Desk.
4. Creates content for social media outlets; compiles and creates final mix of discussions, sounds, or information to be used in production of assignment.
5. Utilizes research and interviews to produce accurate, detailed, and timely broadcast material; ensures accuracy and quality of produced content.
6. Responsible for producing and communicating such segments, interviews, and programs to listeners by announcing or hosting on-air broadcasts.
7. Stays abreast of local, state, national, and international education issues; reads trade magazines, reference materials, newspapers, and on-line information.
8. Some travel required.
9. Participates in station fundraising as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
1. Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Communications, Journalism, Media Arts, or related field required;
2. A minimum of three years of professional level experience in news reporting and production, multi-media reporting or a related field required;
3. Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
This is a part-time (20 hrs./wk.) appointment. Salary commensurate with experience. Appointment is subject to the availability of funds.
A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a letter of application detailing how your experience relates to this position (also indicate where you learned about this position), resume, three job-specific letters of recommendation (including contact information), and audio/writing samples to:
Jay Curtis, Interim Director of University Broadcasting
University of Louisiana at Monroe
250 Stubbs Hall, 401 Bayou Drive
Monroe, LA 71209-8214
Applications may also be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
The University of Louisiana at Monroe is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.