KEDM is a nonprofit public radio station licensed to the University of Louisiana at Monroe, a part of the University of Louisiana System. The station broadcasts a lineup of in-depth news, Classical, Jazz and a variety of other musical genres, along with special entertainment and enriching programs.
KEDM began serving the Northeast Louisiana and Southeast Arkansas area on April 23, 1991. On the station’s 18th birthday, April 23, 2009, KEDM became the first station in its region broadcasting in digital HD Radio™.
The station is affiliated with two public radio networks: National Public Radio (NPR) and American Public Media (APM). NPR provides KEDM with programs such as Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and Car Talk. APM provides quality programs such as A Prairie Home Companion and Marketplace. KEDM also utilizes programming from independent producers, and produces a number of local programs and features as well.
Funding for KEDM comes from several sources:
- Memberships - Monetary support by individuals, referred to as "memberships," play an important role for KEDM. Because KEDM does not air commercials, the support received from listeners help ensure the continuation of quality radio programming for our region.
- Underwriting - Financial contributions provided by businesses and nonprofit organizations are acknowledged by brief on-air announcements. KEDM’s underwriters appreciate the station’s unique contribution to our community, and value the distinctive qualities of our audience.
- University of Louisiana at Monroe - KEDM’s licensee provides annual in-kind support in the form of services, facilities, and utilities. The university also provides direct support by funding a portion of salaries for the station’s full-time staff members.
- Grants - Public radio stations across the country receive partial funding through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967. The support KEDM receives from CPB is determined in part by the amount of nonfederal funding the station raises. KEDM additionally receives a small annual grant from the State of Louisiana for station operations. Other occasional grants fund capital projects for equipment acquisition and facilities improvements.
- Events - Friends of KEDM conducts a number of special fundraising events each year to generate revenue for general station operations.