KEDM is the listener-supported public radio station for Monroe, West Monroe, and all or parts of eleven parishes of northeast Louisiana and four counties in southeast Arkansas. The station broadcasts a lineup of in-depth news, Classical, Jazz and a variety of other musical genres, along with special entertainment and other enriching programs.
KEDM began serving the Northeast Louisiana and Southeast Arkansas area on April 23, 1991. On the station’s 18th birthday, April 23, 2009, KEDM became the first station in its region broadcasting in digital HD Radio™.
- The University of Louisiana at Monroe operates KEDM as a public service.
- We work to provide the citizens of our coverage area with quality news and entertainment programs, so that the public is informed about the events that shape our lives and enriched by the culture that sirs our souls.
- We support the region's local arts groups, civic groups, and other organizations that seek to increase the quality of life in our community.
- Our work strives to ehhance the social, educational and cultural reputation of the listening area.
KEDM is affiliated with two public radio networks: National Public Radio (NPR) and American Public Media (APM). NPR provides KEDM with programs such as Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and Car Talk. APM provides quality programs such as A Prairie Home Companion and Marketplace. KEDM also utilizes programming from independent producers, and produces a number of local programs and features as well.
KEDM broadcasts jazz programming 24/7 on HD2 channel KEDM2 Jazz, and information programming 24/7 on HD3 channel KEDM3 Ideas.
Funding for KEDM comes from several sources:
- Memberships - Monetary support by individuals, referred to as "memberships," play an important role for KEDM. Because KEDM does not air commercials, the support received from listeners help ensure the continuation of quality radio programming for our region.
- Underwriting - Financial contributions provided by businesses and nonprofit organizations are acknowledged by brief on-air announcements. KEDM’s underwriters appreciate the station’s unique contribution to our community, and value the distinctive qualities of our audience.
- University of Louisiana at Monroe - KEDM’s licensee provides annual in-kind support in the form of services, facilities, and utilities. The university also provides direct support.
- Grants - Public radio stations across the country receive partial funding through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967. The support KEDM receives from CPB is determined in part by the amount of nonfederal funding the station raises. KEDM additionally receives a small annual grant from the State of Louisiana for station operations. Other occasional grants fund capital projects for equipment acquisition and facilities improvements.
- Events - Friends of KEDM conducts a number of special fundraising events each year to generate revenue for general station operations.
- Station Management
- KEDM is licensed to the University of Louisiana at Monroe, which is governed by the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors:
|D. Wayne Parker, Chair|
|E. Gerald "T-Boy" Hebert, Vice Chair|
|Jimmie "Beau" Martin, Jr., Parliamentarian|
|Edward J. Crawford, III|
|Dr. Kelly Faircloth|
|John O. LeTard|
|Jimmy D. Long, Sr.|
|Carl G. Shetler|