Natatorium's Future up to Students | ULM Forum 8-26-11
6:36 minutes (6.04 MB) Download
This summer, when the University of Louisiana at Monroe announced it was closing the campus natatorium, there was a public outcry. Although repairs to the facility could cost over one and a half million dollars; members of the community, from local swim teams, to the disabled, to triathletes, all began an effort to keep the pool open, at least while options for the future are explored.
- Students will continue to develop options to ascertain student preferences as it relates to their recreational needs.
- Students agree to continue to fund the operations through the fall semester 2011; however, cost commitment shall not exceed fall 2010 expenditures.
- Fee structures for non-student members and/or groups will be adjusted to increase revenues generated for the operations of the Nat. See fee schedule below.
- All participants in swim groups, in addition to group rates for the usages, shall also be active members. Agreements shall be revised to reflect this change.
- Dues for non-student members will be due 9/15 and shall be in full for fall semester.
- University will make minor repairs to Nat during this period; however, no major repairs (exceeding $2,500) will be made until students have determined final plan. Any additional repairs will be paid by external group through member assessment.
- Students shall make their final decision by 12/1/11 and notify the university and community of their plan.
- Community group shall use fall semester to assist in increasing external memberships.
- Community group shall continue to seek commitments in writing for capital improvements during this period.
- Community group shall prepare a plan to manage and operate pool for members in the event students choose to pursue other arrangements. If this is the case, group should be prepared to assume full operating costs by 1/1/12.
- In the event students choose to pursue actions other than renovating the natatorium, and community is unable to assume operations, all agree students shall have the right to request natatorium closure and community members shall support that decision.